Friday, July 23, 2010

Word for the Weekend

Matthew 26:14-16 Then one of the twelve, called Judas Iscariot, went unto the chief priests, And said unto them, What will ye give me, and I will deliver him unto you? And they covenanted with him for thirty pieces of silver. And from that time he sought opportunity to betray him.


Thirty pieces of silver in Bible times was about a month's pay or about the price of a slave. That's what Judas thought was a reasonable price for Jesus.


Many leaders at the time were looking for a way to catch and kill Jesus and Judas was a sucker for making a little money. He figured telling a few people where Jesus was would get him some cash or coins as they called it back in day.


Matthew 26:24 The Son of man goeth as it is written of him: but woe unto that man by whom the Son of man is betrayed! it had been good for that man if he had not been born.


As the previous verse tells us, Jesus was going to be killed as our Savior from sins no matter what. However, Judas saw it as a money making opportunity. That's kinda like today when those TV preachers ask for money all the time.


These verses got me to thinking about how much is Jesus worth to me? What things in life do I sometimes put before God? What things am I not willing to give up that Jesus would find unacceptable? What price am I selling Him out for?


How about when I feel I am too busy to have my quiet time one day? I've sold Him out for some cleaning.


How about when I watch a program or movie that isn't bringing glory to Him? I've sold Him out for a little entertainment.


What about when I don't tell a friend about Jesus because I can't get up the nerve? I've sold Him out for a little comfort.


We have to remember to keep the Lord first in our lives. He gave His life so we could have eternal life. How can we give Him anything less?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I treasure your comments. I receive a blessing with each one. Thank you for taking the time to read and comment.